My little girl Maya starts primary school next year and with mum being a primary teacher, you would think that choosing her school would be a foregone conclusion. With three public schools in the area and most of them having a good reputation it gives us a number of choices to run with. But I have a number of friends that are sending their kids to either a private school or catholic private school and they have nothing but great things to say about them.
What the biggest factor will be in our decision will not only be the cost (which is a MAJOR factor in the decision) but the level of care my child will receive. Other things to consider which influence the decision are:
- how well is the school resourced?
- how many children will be in each class?
- what specialist classes will the school offer?
- where is the school located? Is it going to be easy to 'get in and get out' in the morning and afternoon or is it going to be a battle royale?
- will you enforce the traditional values of honesty, hard work and discipline? There also has to be a good sports program.
There have been a number of articles written on the subject. One I do like can be found at www.acer.edu.au and offers a non-biased opinion with well rounded statistics.
It is not an easy choice to make and no doubt my wife and I will do what is in the best interest of Maya, and also Noah, in a couple of years.
Are you in the same position as me? What are you looking for and have you made a choice? Let me know in the comments section below.